Saturday, October 27, 2007

Smoke Over San Diego

I stand at the foot of the cross on Mount Soledad and look north. Smoke hangs over the city - as far as the eye can see.

Smoke Hovers Over San Diego


The evacuations have been lifted. Folks are returning home to sift through the debris. Last night as I watched the news I see a family searching in the piles of ash -- amongst them a familiar face, a big smile as always, despite the devastation. He runs across my TV screen and gives the family a high five when they find a ring amongst the rubble.

It is a has been a long week and I am tired. Tomorrow I will awake early and meet up with that familiar face. Just a month ago we were working together in Biloxi - helping families rebuild after Katrina. Tomorrow, here at home, we will search with our neighbours for hope amongst the ashes.

No comments: