Sunday, May 11, 2008

Santa Monica Beach



As I walked from the parking lot towards the pier, I noticed two older men in uniform carrying a flag draped casket. This was not an image I was expecting to encounter on my way to ride the ferris wheel. I followed along behind them to see what was happening.

I soon found myself at the Arlington West memorial.

I stood and watched as a procession of 18 caskets, one for each American soldier killed this week, was carried out. There was during the ceremony, the hustle on the pier calmed and may stopped and looked down in silent reflection.

Arlington West Mission Statement
In accordance with the Veterans For Peace Statement of Purpose, the Arlington West Mission Statement is to

  • honor the fallen and wounded
  • to provide a place to grieve
  • to acknowledge the human cost of war
  • to encourage dialogue among people with varied points of view to educate the public about the needs of those returning from war


Click here to learn more about the Arlington West project and Veterans for Peace.







As I sat in the sand watching the procession - a stray beach ball from kids playing near by rolled past me.

No comments: