Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Ride Into History




Starting this evening the Santa Monica skyline is set to go dark for 17 days. The world famous solar powered ferris wheel that dominates Santa Monica Pier (Pacific Park) skyline is being taken down. It was recently sold in an auction on E-bay to make room for a new improved version.

Always in the celebrity spotlight, the Pacific Wheel has a very impressive list of credits with appearances in more than 105 photo shoots, 71 television commercials, 69 television shows, 28 feature films and 13 music videos. The Hollywood "buzz" for the wheel includes the opening shots for NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno and appearances on American Idol.

The Pacific Wheel has provided more than 3 million rides over the last 12 years. It stands 130 feet above the Pacific Ocean and features 20 gondolas which can accommodate up to 800 riders per hour.

A historic occasion like this was just tooooo good to pass up.

In honour of the final day - rides are free and dollar will be donated for each rider to the SPCLA.

I consulted with Wanda* - she was up for the adventure ... so off we went.


The Pacific Wheel
My Sunday Afternoon Destination


I arrived shortly after the park opened and found my place in line. The wait was a moderate 20 - 30 minutes. There line was full of interesting people - all anxious to be part of history. My first ride on the wheel was with a Pepperdine University alumni who was in town for a few days from Texas. When his friends told him the news about the wheel ... he rushed right over. When we stopped at the top he was busy texting his friends on his blackberry - I snapped pictures.


View from the top


I had so much fun I decided to ride again!

The second time around I was in line with two families. We managed to cram 5 adults and 2 kids into one gondola. Just about the time I took this picture I started to remember I am afraid of heights!?! We were stopped at the top, with a jammed gondola swinging in the wind. At this point the ride couldn't finish fast enough for me! I went a peculiar shade of green, while the two little girls stood up and waved to Ariel the Mermaid out in the ocean!


Eeeek I am scared of heights


When we landed there was a T.V. crew waiting - anxious for an interview. Here is my little traveling companion enthusiastically sharing her experience!



* Wanda is my fellow wanderer and faithful car.

No comments: