Saturday, December 8, 2007

Road Trip - Santa Barbara

This weekend I am enjoying a little 'get away' to Santa Barbara. It was cold this morning when I packed up. I almost packed my "Canadian" fall coat and toque - but decided against it.

On the way up I stopped at a little French Bakery in Montecito to pick up supplies for a picnic at the beach. The bakery had petite fours - something I have not seen for a long time. My grandmother use to bring these as a treat at Christmas time. In honour of my grandmother, I added a little chocolate petite four to my picnic lunch.

I must admit, since moving to California I am use to strange things showing up in my sandwiches. You can pretty much guarantee when they call something a Californian xxx sandwich or add an 'A' to it (i.e. BLTA) that they are going to slip some avocado into your innocent sandwich. I have learned to be preemptive and have them hold the avacodo. However, it never thought to say hold the cooked peas today when I ordered my chicken salad sandwich? Does anyone know if this is a 'french' thing? Seemed like an odd addition to my little picnic lunch at the beach.

I stopped at East Beach, which has become my favourite beach in Santa Barbara to stop for a picnic and reflect. Today, for the first time I noticed these cool trees.

Cool Trees at East Beach, Santa Barbara, California





Not bringing my fall coat and toque - bad decision. It is FREAKIN' cold here in Santa Barbara. 47 degrees F tonight as I walked State Street. I stopped at the local Starbucks and picked up some hot chocolate to take the chill off. The downtown was a buzz with holiday music and all the palm trees are wrapped in white lights. The trolley was full of enthusiastic tourists jingling bells as they passed. I have to say despite shivering, the cool temperatures added to the holiday atmosphere.

No comments: