Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Beyond The Blue Box


For me the blue box is the universal symbol of re-cycling. I remember when I was doing some contract work in KY and discovered the corporate apartment I had rented did not have a blue box. I naively went to the apartment management to report the missing 'blue box'. I was greeted with a blank stare and then in a long drawn out southern accent "Where y'all from?" It was a great surprise to discover that there was no universal blue boxes nor free curbside pick up. If I wanted to recycle I could collect my wasted and drive 20 miles out of town to a re-cycle center or convince all my neighbours to pay for a contractor to come and pick up our recyclables.

Not everything can be re-cycled in our blue boxes. There are some resourceful individuals and companies out there that are willing to put our cast-offs to good use.

Here are a few of my favourite:

One person's junk is another person's treasure. Try selling your stuff on Craig's List, ebay or giving it away on Free Cycle.

No comments: